Friday, February 6, 2009

Republicans of good will

During the stimulus/spending bill debate, Senator Reid again used the phrase, “Republicans of good will”.*What can he possibly mean? Is this an oxymoron? or an example of a null set?

Reid has used this formula before, prior to Reid it is hard to find. Bob Dole used it in July of 1996. Is this a concept in existence to-day?

Reid said two were in existence.* I am reminded of the following conversation:
What if there be five less than fifty just persons? wilt thou for five and forty destroy the whole city? And he said: I will not destroy it, if I find five and forty. And again he said to him: But if forty be found there, what wilt thou do? He said: I will not destroy it for the sake of forty. Lord, saith he, be not angry, I beseech thee, if I speak: What if thirty shall be found there? He answered: I will not do it, if I find thirty there. Seeing, saith he, I have once begun, I will speak to my Lord. What if twenty be found there? He said: I will not destroy it for the sake of twenty. I beseech thee, saith he, be not angry, Lord, if I speak yet once more: What if ten should be found there? And he said: I will not destroy it for the sake of ten. And the Lord departed, after he had left speaking to Abraham: and Abraham returned to his place. Genesis xviii. 28-33. DRC
How small a dwindling number can be found and set?
____________
*
“Do we have the votes? We believe we do, we believe we can find two Republicans of good will who are going to do the right thing for the country”. ― 5 February 2009.

No comments: