Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Saint Augustine's Day MMVII

Today is Saint Augustine's Day. I have read that there is a spanish statement that every sermon can use a quotation from St. Augustine. Today, I will defer and instead post these quotations worth considering, perhaps meditating upon:

"At the Day of Judgment, we shall not be asked what we have read, but what we have done." --- Thomas a Kempis (1380-1471), Of the Imitation of Christ, I.iii. 1418


"The difficulty of explaining 'why I am a Catholic' is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true."
--- G.K. Chesterton, "Why I am a Catholic," 1926

"For if the movement of the world were irrational, and the world rolled on in random fashion, one would be justified in disbelieving what we say. But if the world is founded on reason, wisdom, and science, and is filled with orderly beauty, then it must owe its origin and order to none other than the Word of God." --- St. Athanasius

"With a Mass I not only secure for myself innumerable blessings, but I confer the most important benefits on my kingdom. Many more than I could possibly do in any other way." --- Saint Louis King of France


No comments: